The Wise Family

Friday, October 12, 2007

Our night in the ER

Payton has been sick the last couple of days with a cough and a low grade fever. I have not thought much of it because she has been playing and eating very well (as you can see from my last few posts). This morning at about 1am Payton was sleeping in my arms and woke herself up with a bad cough. When you she woke up she was crying and gasping for air. We thought she might be having an asthma attach since Jonathon had it so bad as a child.

We took her to Waterman’s ER and when we got there she acted fine and even clapped and smiled for the nurses, so it was kind of hard to express my extreme panic and worry. The nurses looked at Payton and found that her temperature was at 101.8 so they gave her some suppositories to reduce her fever. Then we sat in the waiting room for about an hour just waiting until Payton fell back asleep and woke up shortly after with another breathing attack, which made it very easy for the nurses and doctors to see why Jonathon and I were in such a panic. They got us straight to a room and got her on a breathing treatment.

After 5 hours of x-rays, a shot of steroids, more suppositories, waiting and a very sleepy and scared baby the doctor diagnosed her with croup, which is a blockage in the airway to the lungs. The doctor also said there might be a little bronchitis in her lungs. It must be something that is going around because a girl I know said that her sister’s baby boy went to the ER yesterday as well and was diagnosed with croup. Payton seems to be doing fine right now… but she does fool me when she is sick. The ER sure is not a fun place!

1 comment:

Melody said...

I am glad that she is going to be fine. I remember my first time having a child with croup. I was scared to death! It is great that it usually sounds a lot worse than it really is.