The Wise Family

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Croup and the blessing

It is crazy how some bad things in life can show you how the small things in your life are such a huge blessing. A couple days ago I was reading the article called, “Why Children get Sicker at Nighttime” in my Parenting Magazine. I thought this would be an interesting article because I have found that to be very true with Payton. Anyways as I was reading the article it was talking about Croup and why it is worse at night and what to do to treat it. I found this to be an interesting topic since I had spent the night in the ER last year with Payton and how scary the whole thing was for me, Jonathon and Payton.

A couple nights later Payton woke herself to a horrible cough that I had only heard one time before and that was when she had croup. She was scared and having the hardiest time breathing. While I was holding her and trying to comfort her I was getting a plan together of which ER I would take her to and whether or not to leave Jonathon and Britton behind. Jonathon and I were thinking of what was the best thing to do and I remembered reading that article in the magazine and decided to look at it again. I read the article and it said the way to treat croup (if it has not gotten to serious) was to take the child into a hot steaming bathroom for 15 minutes then take them outside in the cold air for 5 minutes with a dose of Motrin. Jonathon and I did this with her and it really did make things better. She was such a trooper through the whole process. I felt so bad for her though because one time she threw up on me and said "I sorry... all better". I just held her and told her it was going to be okay. We put her back to sleep and the next morning she was a little sick with a cold but definitely a lot better than what she was.



It was such a huge blessing to Jonathon and I that I had read that article and was able to take care of the croup with out the need of another 5 hours in the ER and having to scare Payton even more than she was. The little things in life can bring huge blessings.

No comments: